The Magic of Three
30 May 2011
In our media training courses we tell people to have three facts to use in an interview. Three is a magic number, not too few not too many. It is part of the human psyche and it works well.
Make more than three points and your audience is likely to get confused and loose track. Make fewer than three and you begin to sound like a broken record.
And this works for everyone even US Presidents. In a recent article in Forbes.com TJ Walker gives examples of how Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton stuck to three points and these not only helped them win the elections but are still memorable today.
- Cut taxes.
- Strengthen defense.
- Balance the budget.
- Change versus the status quo.
- It’s the economy, stupid.
- Don’t forget healthcare.
- Case Study: Media Training for a Housing Association
- Sir David Frost – an inspiration to all journalists (of a certain age)
- NHS Changes: Are GPs Prepared?
- Too Terrified To Tweet
- Horse a la Prince
- Expect the Unexpected (And Plan For It)
- Love Her or Loathe Her – Was Maggie Thatcher a Good Media Communicator?
- First Aid Now or Postmortem Later
- Case Study: Media Training in Local Government
- One Dead King = One Live PR Campaign
- 10 to 1 It’ll Damage Customer Trust
- The LGA’s Social Media Friendly Mark
- Facebook and Beyond
- Local Government Gets Its Own Social Media Network
- The Magic of Three
Upcoming Open Courses
- Media Interview Skills WorkshopCourse Info28 Apr 2014This combines theory and practice to help you take control during media interviews and work with the press.
- Internal Communications - PR TrainingCourse Info29 Apr 2014This covers communications within large organisations and how to make the most of this important audience.
- Train the Trainer - Media TrainingCourse Info30 Apr 2014Extend your media training budget by enabling your internal trainer to train others in your organisation.
- Public Speaking and Presentation Skills CourseCourse Info1 May 2014This course is equally useful for business leader and communicators as for media interviews or statements.
- Social Media and Media TrainingCourse Info2 May 2014A full day course combining Social Media Skills and traditional Media Interview Skills for GP Consortia.
- Running Successful PR CampaignsCourse Info6 May 2014We will take you through our formula, step by step, helping you plan and implement a professional PR campaign.
- Advanced Media Skills WorkshopCourse Info7 May 2014A challenging one-day workshop for experienced delegates develops interview technique.
- PR TrainingCourse Info8 May 2014One day course covering ways for you to get more coverage and work more proactively with the press.
- Communicating Change and Public ConsultationCourse Info9 May 2014This course will give you the skills needed to handle Public Meetings with energy, enthusiasm and confidence.
- Media Law And Crisis Media For PR PersonnelCourse Info12 May 2014This covers the fundamentals every communications department needs to understand including crisis media.