The Magic of Three
30 May 2011
In our media training courses we tell people to have three facts to use in an interview. Three is a magic number, not too few not too many. It is part of the human psyche and it works well.
Make more than three points and your audience is likely to get confused and loose track. Make fewer than three and you begin to sound like a broken record.
And this works for everyone even US Presidents. In a recent article in Forbes.com TJ Walker gives examples of how Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton stuck to three points and these not only helped them win the elections but are still memorable today.
- Cut taxes.
- Strengthen defense.
- Balance the budget.
- Change versus the status quo.
- It’s the economy, stupid.
- Don’t forget healthcare.
- Case Study: Media Training for a Housing Association
- Sir David Frost – an inspiration to all journalists (of a certain age)
- NHS Changes: Are GPs Prepared?
- Too Terrified To Tweet
- Horse a la Prince
- Expect the Unexpected (And Plan For It)
- Love Her or Loathe Her – Was Maggie Thatcher a Good Media Communicator?
- First Aid Now or Postmortem Later
- Case Study: Media Training in Local Government
- One Dead King = One Live PR Campaign
- 10 to 1 It’ll Damage Customer Trust
- The LGA’s Social Media Friendly Mark
- Facebook and Beyond
- Local Government Gets Its Own Social Media Network
- The Magic of Three
Upcoming Open Courses
- Train the Trainer - Media TrainingCourse Info19 Mar 2014Extend your media training budget by enabling your internal trainer to train others in your organisation.
- Effective Press Release Writing WorkshopCourse Info20 Mar 2014We teach you how to write press releases that force journalists to take notice and publish your story.
- Internal Communications - PR TrainingCourse Info21 Mar 2014This covers communications within large organisations and how to make the most of this important audience.
- Running Successful PR CampaignsCourse Info24 Mar 2014We will take you through our formula, step by step, helping you plan and implement a professional PR campaign.
- Public Speaking and Presentation Skills CourseCourse Info25 Mar 2014This course is equally useful for business leader and communicators as for media interviews or statements.
- Communicating Change and Public ConsultationCourse Info26 Mar 2014This course will give you the skills needed to handle Public Meetings with energy, enthusiasm and confidence.
- Media Boot Camp for PR ProfessionalsCourse Info27 Mar 2014Course for PR professionals who want to enhance their media handling skills both proactively and in crises.
- Effective Press Release Writing WorkshopCourse Info28 Mar 2014We teach you how to write press releases that force journalists to take notice and publish your story.
- Train the Trainer - Media TrainingCourse Info31 Mar 2014Extend your media training budget by enabling your internal trainer to train others in your organisation.
- PR TrainingCourse Info1 Apr 2014One day course covering ways for you to get more coverage and work more proactively with the press.