The Magic of Three
30 May 2011
In our media training courses we tell people to have three facts to use in an interview. Three is a magic number, not too few not too many. It is part of the human psyche and it works well.
Make more than three points and your audience is likely to get confused and loose track. Make fewer than three and you begin to sound like a broken record.
And this works for everyone even US Presidents. In a recent article in Forbes.com TJ Walker gives examples of how Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton stuck to three points and these not only helped them win the elections but are still memorable today.
- Cut taxes.
- Strengthen defense.
- Balance the budget.
- Change versus the status quo.
- It’s the economy, stupid.
- Don’t forget healthcare.
- Case Study: Media Training for a Housing Association
- Sir David Frost – an inspiration to all journalists (of a certain age)
- NHS Changes: Are GPs Prepared?
- Too Terrified To Tweet
- Horse a la Prince
- Expect the Unexpected (And Plan For It)
- Love Her or Loathe Her – Was Maggie Thatcher a Good Media Communicator?
- First Aid Now or Postmortem Later
- Case Study: Media Training in Local Government
- One Dead King = One Live PR Campaign
- 10 to 1 It’ll Damage Customer Trust
- The LGA’s Social Media Friendly Mark
- Facebook and Beyond
- Local Government Gets Its Own Social Media Network
- The Magic of Three
Upcoming Open Courses
- Search Engine OptimisationCourse Info30 Jul 2014This full day workshop will give you the knowledge and tactics that you need to improve your ranking in search results.
- Media Interview Skills WorkshopCourse Info31 Jul 2014This combines theory and practice to help you take control during media interviews and work with the press.
- Social Media and Media TrainingCourse Info1 Aug 2014A full day course combining Social Media Skills and traditional Media Interview Skills for GP Consortia.
- Effective Press Release Writing WorkshopCourse Info4 Aug 2014We teach you how to write press releases that force journalists to take notice and publish your story.
- Crisis Media Management - Media TrainingCourse Info5 Aug 2014Combining theory and practice interviews with video playback we prepare you for every angle of enquiry.
- Train the Trainer - Media TrainingCourse Info6 Aug 2014Extend your media training budget by enabling your internal trainer to train others in your organisation.
- Public Speaking and Presentation Skills CourseCourse Info7 Aug 2014This course is equally useful for business leader and communicators as for media interviews or statements.
- Media Boot Camp for PR ProfessionalsCourse Info8 Aug 2014Course for PR professionals who want to enhance their media handling skills both proactively and in crises.
- Advanced Media Skills WorkshopCourse Info11 Aug 2014A challenging one-day workshop for experienced delegates develops interview technique.
- Media Awareness SeminarCourse Info12 Aug 2014This half day seminar gives a good overview of the workings of the media, how to spot opportunities and use the media proactively.