6 March 2013
With the advent of social media and twitter in particular it seems the long arm of the law is stretching ever-further into the ether. High profile tweets that are at best #stupid and at worst #illegal populate the news. Recently-introduced guidelines from the Crown Prosecution Service show that UK lawyers rapidly need to determine the #humorous from the #vindictive. Social media law is being defined #rightnow.
By contrast, courtroom procedure and the UK’s legal system are based upon rigid rules, steeped in history. The lawyer who best knows the rules employs them to his advantage. But the same can be said of the media and social media in terms of using them for strategic communications or simply minimising negative coverage. Whether there’s a media scrum on the courthouse steps or a virtual media frenzy, lawyers need to understand pre-determined rules of engagement.
There’s a Brave New Virtual World out there that is highly influential. Failing to engage is like cutting off your nose to spite your facebook.
- Case Study: Media Training for a Housing Association
- Sir David Frost – an inspiration to all journalists (of a certain age)
- NHS Changes: Are GPs Prepared?
- Too Terrified To Tweet
- Horse a la Prince
- Expect the Unexpected (And Plan For It)
- Love Her or Loathe Her – Was Maggie Thatcher a Good Media Communicator?
- First Aid Now or Postmortem Later
- Case Study: Media Training in Local Government
- One Dead King = One Live PR Campaign
- 10 to 1 It’ll Damage Customer Trust
- The LGA’s Social Media Friendly Mark
- Facebook and Beyond
- Local Government Gets Its Own Social Media Network
- The Magic of Three
Upcoming Open Courses
- Public Speaking and Presentation Skills CourseCourse Info17 Mar 2014This course is equally useful for business leader and communicators as for media interviews or statements.
- Social Media and Media TrainingCourse Info18 Mar 2014A full day course combining Social Media Skills and traditional Media Interview Skills for GP Consortia.
- Train the Trainer - Media TrainingCourse Info19 Mar 2014Extend your media training budget by enabling your internal trainer to train others in your organisation.
- Effective Press Release Writing WorkshopCourse Info20 Mar 2014We teach you how to write press releases that force journalists to take notice and publish your story.
- Internal Communications - PR TrainingCourse Info21 Mar 2014This covers communications within large organisations and how to make the most of this important audience.
- Running Successful PR CampaignsCourse Info24 Mar 2014We will take you through our formula, step by step, helping you plan and implement a professional PR campaign.
- Public Speaking and Presentation Skills CourseCourse Info25 Mar 2014This course is equally useful for business leader and communicators as for media interviews or statements.
- Communicating Change and Public ConsultationCourse Info26 Mar 2014This course will give you the skills needed to handle Public Meetings with energy, enthusiasm and confidence.
- Media Boot Camp for PR ProfessionalsCourse Info27 Mar 2014Course for PR professionals who want to enhance their media handling skills both proactively and in crises.
- Effective Press Release Writing WorkshopCourse Info28 Mar 2014We teach you how to write press releases that force journalists to take notice and publish your story.