6 March 2013
With the advent of social media and twitter in particular it seems the long arm of the law is stretching ever-further into the ether. High profile tweets that are at best #stupid and at worst #illegal populate the news. Recently-introduced guidelines from the Crown Prosecution Service show that UK lawyers rapidly need to determine the #humorous from the #vindictive. Social media law is being defined #rightnow.
By contrast, courtroom procedure and the UK’s legal system are based upon rigid rules, steeped in history. The lawyer who best knows the rules employs them to his advantage. But the same can be said of the media and social media in terms of using them for strategic communications or simply minimising negative coverage. Whether there’s a media scrum on the courthouse steps or a virtual media frenzy, lawyers need to understand pre-determined rules of engagement.
There’s a Brave New Virtual World out there that is highly influential. Failing to engage is like cutting off your nose to spite your facebook.
- Case Study: Media Training for a Housing Association
- Sir David Frost – an inspiration to all journalists (of a certain age)
- NHS Changes: Are GPs Prepared?
- Too Terrified To Tweet
- Horse a la Prince
- Expect the Unexpected (And Plan For It)
- Love Her or Loathe Her – Was Maggie Thatcher a Good Media Communicator?
- First Aid Now or Postmortem Later
- Case Study: Media Training in Local Government
- One Dead King = One Live PR Campaign
- 10 to 1 It’ll Damage Customer Trust
- The LGA’s Social Media Friendly Mark
- Facebook and Beyond
- Local Government Gets Its Own Social Media Network
- The Magic of Three
Upcoming Open Courses
- Public Speaking and Presentation Skills CourseCourse Info1 May 2014This course is equally useful for business leader and communicators as for media interviews or statements.
- Social Media and Media TrainingCourse Info2 May 2014A full day course combining Social Media Skills and traditional Media Interview Skills for GP Consortia.
- Running Successful PR CampaignsCourse Info6 May 2014We will take you through our formula, step by step, helping you plan and implement a professional PR campaign.
- Advanced Media Skills WorkshopCourse Info7 May 2014A challenging one-day workshop for experienced delegates develops interview technique.
- PR TrainingCourse Info8 May 2014One day course covering ways for you to get more coverage and work more proactively with the press.
- Communicating Change and Public ConsultationCourse Info9 May 2014This course will give you the skills needed to handle Public Meetings with energy, enthusiasm and confidence.
- Media Law And Crisis Media For PR PersonnelCourse Info12 May 2014This covers the fundamentals every communications department needs to understand including crisis media.
- Crisis Media Management - Media TrainingCourse Info13 May 2014Combining theory and practice interviews with video playback we prepare you for every angle of enquiry.
- Communicating Change and Public ConsultationCourse Info14 May 2014This course will give you the skills needed to handle Public Meetings with energy, enthusiasm and confidence.
- PR TrainingCourse Info15 May 2014One day course covering ways for you to get more coverage and work more proactively with the press.