6 March 2013
With the advent of social media and twitter in particular it seems the long arm of the law is stretching ever-further into the ether. High profile tweets that are at best #stupid and at worst #illegal populate the news. Recently-introduced guidelines from the Crown Prosecution Service show that UK lawyers rapidly need to determine the #humorous from the #vindictive. Social media law is being defined #rightnow.
By contrast, courtroom procedure and the UK’s legal system are based upon rigid rules, steeped in history. The lawyer who best knows the rules employs them to his advantage. But the same can be said of the media and social media in terms of using them for strategic communications or simply minimising negative coverage. Whether there’s a media scrum on the courthouse steps or a virtual media frenzy, lawyers need to understand pre-determined rules of engagement.
There’s a Brave New Virtual World out there that is highly influential. Failing to engage is like cutting off your nose to spite your facebook.
- Case Study: Media Training for a Housing Association
- Sir David Frost – an inspiration to all journalists (of a certain age)
- NHS Changes: Are GPs Prepared?
- Too Terrified To Tweet
- Horse a la Prince
- Expect the Unexpected (And Plan For It)
- Love Her or Loathe Her – Was Maggie Thatcher a Good Media Communicator?
- First Aid Now or Postmortem Later
- Case Study: Media Training in Local Government
- One Dead King = One Live PR Campaign
- 10 to 1 It’ll Damage Customer Trust
- The LGA’s Social Media Friendly Mark
- Facebook and Beyond
- Local Government Gets Its Own Social Media Network
- The Magic of Three
Upcoming Open Courses
- Media Interview Skills WorkshopCourse Info31 Jul 2014This combines theory and practice to help you take control during media interviews and work with the press.
- Social Media and Media TrainingCourse Info1 Aug 2014A full day course combining Social Media Skills and traditional Media Interview Skills for GP Consortia.
- Effective Press Release Writing WorkshopCourse Info4 Aug 2014We teach you how to write press releases that force journalists to take notice and publish your story.
- Crisis Media Management - Media TrainingCourse Info5 Aug 2014Combining theory and practice interviews with video playback we prepare you for every angle of enquiry.
- Train the Trainer - Media TrainingCourse Info6 Aug 2014Extend your media training budget by enabling your internal trainer to train others in your organisation.
- Public Speaking and Presentation Skills CourseCourse Info7 Aug 2014This course is equally useful for business leader and communicators as for media interviews or statements.
- Media Boot Camp for PR ProfessionalsCourse Info8 Aug 2014Course for PR professionals who want to enhance their media handling skills both proactively and in crises.
- Advanced Media Skills WorkshopCourse Info11 Aug 2014A challenging one-day workshop for experienced delegates develops interview technique.
- Media Awareness SeminarCourse Info12 Aug 2014This half day seminar gives a good overview of the workings of the media, how to spot opportunities and use the media proactively.
- Running Successful PR CampaignsCourse Info13 Aug 2014We will take you through our formula, step by step, helping you plan and implement a professional PR campaign.