6 March 2013
With the advent of social media and twitter in particular it seems the long arm of the law is stretching ever-further into the ether. High profile tweets that are at best #stupid and at worst #illegal populate the news. Recently-introduced guidelines from the Crown Prosecution Service show that UK lawyers rapidly need to determine the #humorous from the #vindictive. Social media law is being defined #rightnow.
By contrast, courtroom procedure and the UK’s legal system are based upon rigid rules, steeped in history. The lawyer who best knows the rules employs them to his advantage. But the same can be said of the media and social media in terms of using them for strategic communications or simply minimising negative coverage. Whether there’s a media scrum on the courthouse steps or a virtual media frenzy, lawyers need to understand pre-determined rules of engagement.
There’s a Brave New Virtual World out there that is highly influential. Failing to engage is like cutting off your nose to spite your facebook.
- To Terrified To Tweet
- Horse a la Prince
- Expect the Unexpected (And Plan For It)
- Love Her or Loathe Her – Was Maggie Thatcher a Good Media Communicator?
- First Aid Now or Postmortem Later
- Case Study: Media Training in Local Government
- One Dead King = One Live PR Campaign
- 10 to 1 It’ll Damage Customer Trust
- The LGA’s Social Media Friendly Mark
- Facebook and Beyond
- Local Government Gets Its Own Social Media Network
- The Magic of Three
Upcoming Open Courses
- Communicating Change and Public ConsultationCourse Info31 May 2013
- Media Interview Skills WorkshopCourse Info3 Jun 2013
- Effective Press Release Writing WorkshopCourse Info4 Jun 2013
- Introduction to Practical Social MediaCourse Info5 Jun 2013
- Media Strategy Skills TrainingCourse Info6 Jun 2013
- Media Strategy Skills TrainingCourse Info7 Jun 2013
- Media Interview Skills WorkshopCourse Info10 Jun 2013
- Communicating Change and Public ConsultationCourse Info11 Jun 2013
- Advanced PR Skills TrainingCourse Info12 Jun 2013
- Public Speaking and Presentation Skills CourseCourse Info13 Jun 2013