Media Training – Courses and Methodology
You never get a second chance to make a first impression
Media Friendly Media Training will give you the skills you need to face the media with energy, enthusiasm and confidence.
Andrew Carapiet is our main media trainer and he’ll give you his top tips free in this video.
How it works
Each course is fully tailored to your issues, with individual interview scenarios designed for each participant.
We usually start each course with a brief overview of the media, before getting down to the practical interview experience.
We completely demystify the media, show you how to prepare your key messages and take control of the interview.
You take part in a series of realistic media interviews. These get progressively more difficult, until you become adept at handling virtually anything the media can throw at you.
Our learning principle is best described as DO LEARN DO – where you acquire a difficult skill by practicing it, over and again.
The ultimate aim is to build confidence and ensure that participants feel comfortable and confident in all future dealings with the media.
How to plan your media training
Media training works best when it is tailored to you, your organisation and your issues. Media Friendly have been planning, designing and delivering media training for more than fifteen years, so let us help you. You don’t have to do it alone. We’ll take you through the steps to that you get the training you need:
- Who needs media training?
- Your CEO and Executive Management Team
- Senior managers with no previous media experience
- Key spokespeople working at “grass roots level”
- Non media spokespeople
- How experienced are they and what course will work best for them?
- Executive mangers needing advanced strategic media management skills
- Experienced spokespeople needing advanced media skills
- Already media trained but rusty, needing a short refresher session
- On-call managers or staff who could be faced with a media crisis
- Complete media novices needing media interview skills training
- Non-media spokespeople who need a media awareness seminar
- What has prompted this training? We will tailor the course for you.
- A specific issue that you need support with
- An upcoming event that you want to promote
- A potential media crisis
- Routine leadership development
- Induction training for new staff
- A need to raise media awareness across your organisation
- Interview scenarios
- Would you like to concentrate on your success stories
- Raising your profile
- Preparing for a crisis as part of your contingency planning
- Work on both success and crisis media interviews
- Media specific – We will work on key messages for your target audiences
- Print – Trade press, local/national newspapers, lifestyle
- Radio – studio, down the line, chat show, phone-in
- Television- studio, down the line, BBC Breakfast or Newsnight
- Social media training
- Some or all of the above
- How many people need to be trained
- How much time are they prepared to invest
- We recommend small groups, up to six on a full day
- Up to four, or one-to-one , on a half day
- Where would you like to run the training
- In your own premises, using our cameras and equipment
- In a local external venue, away from office distractions
- In our lovely training centre as an away day
- In a broadcast studio in central London
We can come to you and run training in your own premises, anywhere in the UK or abroad if appropriate. We also have a lovely training centre in Buckinghamshire or we can help you organise the training in a local external venue or studio.
We’re also here for you after the course is over, offering free on going support, rehearsal and advice for your next live media interview.