Real Time Crisis Media Management
In the world of 24/7 rolling news and the immediacy of Social Media sites any organisation can be thrown into a media crisis instantly.
How appropriately you respond and how well you control the situation is crucial to your reputation.
What to expect
This is the ideal Crisis Media Management training for key spokespeople who may be faced with a potential media crisis at very short notice. This stimulating course starts with a surprise ambush by journalists door stepping the candidates on arrival, leads on with a “real time media crisis” scenario.
We will prepare you for almost every eventuality connected to any crisis issue as well as give you a structure and set of tools to conduct successful media relations in future.
We tailor the training to cover your specific issues and meet your exact requirements, empowering you with the skills you need to handle a potential media crises and all types of crisis media interviews.
How it works
Each workshop is highly practical. We start with a surprise ambush by a crisis driven media crew, to highlight the hazards of facing the media unprepared.
We then feedback on this first exercise in a short theory based session.
This is followed by a longer, more hands-on, practical “real life, real time “ crisis media management session. You will be asked to plan, prepare and take control of a serious or crisis scenario. This will unfold in real time, as we reveal more information throughout the morning.
You will take part in a series of challenging and stimulating print, radio and television interviews. We record every interview and analyse them to highlight positive and negative aspects.
This exercise is repeated with a fresh scenario in the afternoon session to ensure that the skills learnt in the morning are absorbed and embedded.
The ultimate aim is to ensure that you are able to work effectively as a team,should a crisis strike and that you can handle all types of crisis media interviews with confidence
We go through our three key aims for Crisis Media Management:
- Act promptly – if you dither, somebody else gets their story into the media first and you are then on the back foot. Once on the back foot, you never get on the front foot, so your team needs to be ready.
- Front up – the public are now demanding to see and hear from a human being, explaining the facts and apologising if necessary. No comment and/or a short written statement are treated with near contempt by the media and the public.
- Don’t spin – stick to the facts. You are trying to achieve your vision, putting the welfare of people at the heart of what you do.
- Chief Executives and Directors
- Senior Managers and Leaders
- Experienced spokespeople who may be faced with a crisis at short notice
All Participants Receive
- A DVD with all their interviews
- Workshop handouts
- Media Interview rule book and handy tips card to help with future media interviews 12 months
- 12 months FREE advice and support by phone should you need this before any future interview
- The “news package”
You will learn
- What makes a news story and how a journalist thinks.
- How to handle “doorstepping journalists” in a crisis.
- How to prepare your key messages
- How to side step the bear traps
- How to handle a media crisis
- Avoiding the “empty chair” and “no comment”. (How to do this.)
- Our 3 R’s crisis media interview formula – Regret, Reason, Remedy
- Key principles of dealing with the media
- The importance of respecting journalist deadlines.
- How to prepare for a media interview effectively.
- Avoid jargon.
- Tips on voice – for radio.
- Taking control of media interviews for press, radio and TV.
- How to handle tough or difficult questions and avoiding pitfalls or traps.
- How to communicate key messages about your issues
- How to get your major points across by being assertive in interviews.
- To show grace and have confidence under pressure.
- Show you how to sound authoritative and confident.
Times and pricing